Six year MD Program
A 6 year Doctor of Medicine degree. The total ECTS for the program is 360 which is equivalent to 180 credit hours. Entry requirement for the program is a high school diploma with distinctions in English and an admission test. Graduates will gain a diploma in General Medicine with a title of Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- General medicine (General medicine. Doctor of Medicine (MD)
General Goals of the General Medicine Study Program:
The main goal of the integrated academic studies for the Doctor of Medicine is to train students, through research and education, to apply professional and scientific achievements in prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Also, promoting a healthy lifestyle as well as improving the standards of human health protection by competent and high-quality experts and scientists in the field of biomedicine.
- adoption and efficient application of knowledge based on scientific principles and empirics;
- acquiring knowledge about the biological functions of the organism, etiology and pathogenesis of the disease;
- knowledge of basic clinical skills (taking history from patients, acquiring specific skills for performing a comprehensive physical and psychological examination);
- acquisition of specific skills for the treatment of diseases, interpretation of clinical and laboratory findings;
- acquiring specific skills for performing a number of basic diagnostic and therapeutic procedures;
- develop communication skills and the ability to use modern information technology for the benefit of patients;
- adopting the principle of professional behavior;
- develop the ability of individual work and work in a small group for scientific research work;
The acquired knowledge will enable students to get involved in the process of continuous medical education and further permanent professional and scientific improvement and promotion in the field of science and medical science.
By mastering the study program, students acquire general and subject-specific skills that are in function of quality professional, scientific activity.
By mastering the study program, the student acquires the following general abilities:
- analytical thinking in solving medical and health problems and anticipating consequences;
- mastering the basic methods and procedures of prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases;
- mastering the methods, procedures and processes of scientific research in medicine;
- development of critical and self-critical thinking and approach;
- application of acquired knowledge in practice;
- development of communication skills, as well as cooperation with a narrow and international environment;
- spotting and correcting professional ethical dilemmas.
By mastering the study program the student acquires the following subject-specific abilities:
- basic knowledge, understanding and critical acceptance of the biological and medical principles of functioning of living systems;
- solving specific health and medical problems correct; using scientific methods and procedures;
- linking knowledge from different fields of medicine and their application in practice;
- monitoring and practical application of the latest achievements in the field of science and science;
- development of specific skills and skills in the use of knowledge in the appropriate field;
- use of modern information and communication technologies in mastering the knowledge of the respective area.
Upon completing medical studies, the doctor is expected to understand the importance of scientific basics and discoveries in medicine in order to apply them in medical decision-making based on evidence, through independent and creative solving of clinical problems in practice, the critical use of medical literature and the latest information and communication technologies.
Trusted by many students
Join our comunity of students around the world helping you succeed!
- Medical Chemistry 1
- Hygiene and Healthy Ecology
- College English
- Introduction to Mathematics
- Medical Chemistry 2
- One elective:
- First aid
- Medical Ethics
- Introduction to Biochemistry
- Introduction to Anatomy
- Medical Statics
- Introduction to Physiology
- Computer Science
- Anatomy 1
- Histology and Embryology
- Anatomy 2
- Scientific research work
- Basics of Microbiology and Immunology
- Clinical Propedeutics (H&P)
- Internal Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Intensive Care
- Urgent Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Physical Medicine with Rehabilitation
All clinical rotations in Chicago
American Northwest University has its own Medical Centers throughout Chicago land area with a few thousands of patients with different backgrounds and cultures for students to gain clinical experience. The University also has an affiliation with different hospitals in Chicago to offer the students variety of clinical training and hands on experience.